To surround our community in a circle of ALL LOVE as we unite through music and movement.
- 2003: Coin the name "FUNKMODE" as the title of a performance company that would combine Hip Hop and Modern dance.
- 2004: Launch FUNKMODE.com
- 2006: First session of classes at the Diablo Theatre Company building in Pleasant Hill
- 2007: First independently produced live show
- 2007: Creation of youth company, miniMODE
- Q1 2014: Celebrate 10 year anniversary
- 2016: Open FUNKMODE Studios in Concord
- Q1 2019: Celebrate 15 year anniversary
- 2021: Launch new FUNKMODE website (v3)
- Years with FUNKMODE: All of them
- Years teaching with FUNKMODE: 19
- Classes taught: Jazz/Contemporary (Int/Adv Adult) - Monday, 7pm | Jazz/Contemporary (Beginner Adult) - Tuesday, 6pm | Jazz/Contemporary (Beg/Int Adult) - Tuesday, 7pm | Fierce Femme (Open Level Adult) - Wednesday, 9pm | After School Programs
- Training: BFA in Dance Education from Arizona State University, receiving dance scholarships while attending, and trained in many styles and danced competitively since early childhood. Choreographer for AAA’s Earth Quake Safety Program and the Bay Area premiere of “High School Musical”, as well as training and directing Tony award winning/Broadway performers.
- Other specialties/skills: Costuming, Event/show production, First wedding dances
- When I'm not on the dance floor, you can find me ...: at a concert, watering my plants, or out on another dance floor.
- Quote: "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow what a ride!'" - Hunter S. Thompson
- Years with FUNKMODE: All of them
- Years teaching with FUNKMODE: 19
- Classes taught: Hip Hop+ (Beg/Int Adult) - Monday, 6pm + Saturday, 10am | miniMODE | Hip Hop+ (Int/Adv Adult) - Wednesday, 7pm | MOVE! (Open Level Adult) - Thursday, 7:30pm | Hip Hop+ (Ages 5-10) - Saturday, 9am | After School Programs
- Training: Taken classes, taught classes and performed across the country and internationally. Learned directly from some of the originators of Hip Hop dance. Studied primarily Hip Hop (Freestyle, Funk Styles, B-boy), but also House, and World Dance (Salsa, Tahitian, African, Bhangra, Bollywood). Worked with many Hip Hop dance companies across the SF Bay Area.
- Other specialties/skills: Gymnastics, Partner Stunts, Hand Balancing, Fitness/Nutrition, Mind Reading (I'm reading now that you are doubtful ... nailed it!)
- When I'm not on the dance floor, you can find me ...: working out, being upside-down, riding my Onewheel, riding my motorcyle, reading comic books, playing video games, eating pizza.
- Quote: "This is the true joy in life, being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one." - George Bernard Shaw
- Years with FUNKMODE: 19
- Years teaching with FUNKMODE: 14
- Classes taught: Hip Hop+ (ages 8-11) - Monday, 6pm | Heels (Open Level Adult) - Monday, 9pm | Hip Hop+ (ages 12-17) - Wednesday, 5pm + 6pm | Hip Hop+ (Beginner Adult) - Thursday, 6:30pm | MOVE! (Open Level Adult)- Thursday, 7:30pm | Twerk (Open Level Adult) - Thursday, 9pm | After School Programs
- Training: FUNKMODE, MTV, Dance Production, and over a decade of teaching experience.
- Other specialties/skills: Pro-level Pole Sport Competitor, Gymnastics
- When I'm not on the dance floor, you can find me ...: taking care of my mini-zoo consisting of hermit crabs, bunnies and bearded dragons.
- Quote: "Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman
- Years with FUNKMODE: 9
- Years teaching with FUNKMODE: 3
- Classes taught: Hip Hop+ (ages 5-10) - Monday, 5pm | Hip Hop+ (ages 5-7) - Monday, 6pm | miniMODE
- Training: FUNKMODE
- Other specialties/skills: Multi-instrumentalist
- When I'm not on the dance floor, you can find me ...: hanging out with friends or studying.
- Quote: If not now, when?
- Years with FUNKMODE: 17
- Years teaching with FUNKMODE: 4
- Classes taught: Hip Hop+ (ages 3-5) - Saturday, 9:30am + 10:30am
- Training: FUNKMODE, Dance Minor at San Francisco State University
- Other specialties/skills: Cheerleading
- When I'm not on the dance floor, you can find me ...: Lyra, traveling, or swimming in my Mermaid tail
- Quote: "You're never fully dressed without a smile" - Martin Charnin
I have never danced before or taken a class. Is that a problem?
Only if it stops you from EVER taking a class. We have a long list of people who have taken class with us over the years who started out as complete newbies and eventually learned to shake it like pros. Again, that’s why we call it dance CLASS. You are there to learn and we’re here to teach you. All you really need to be successful is a love for music and movement, a willingness to learn and a sense of humor for those occasional moments when your feet don’t seem to wanna keep up with your brain.Can I try/watch a class?
Yes and no. You can come give us a try, but we don’t let people just kick it on the sidelines. It kind of weirds out the rest of us who are actually dancing to have people staring at us. That being said, we HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you watch our videos to get a taste of class and then sign up for an entire session. Unless you’re an experienced and accomplished dancer, taking one class is a REALLY bad way to evaluate whether or not it’s for you. If you are new, you are likely to be somewhat frustrated during your first class as your mind and body attempt to form a new relationship. However, people always seem to advance very quickly and after only a few classes they have a VERY different perspective than they had initially. Don’t think of this as a dance class, think of it as a dance course. What we do works best as a package, not a one-time experience.Can I take class on a drop-in basis?
If you haven’t already, check the answer to the question directly above. Our classes aren’t structured for drop-ins. We do this for a few reasons. For one, people see much better results when they attend class regularly. Also, it makes class much more enjoyable for everyone when we get used to seeing, learning and dancing with familiar faces. Finally, it ensures that our student numbers stay relatively consistent which keeps teachers AND students happy.What should I wear/bring to class?
Everyone seems to think that everyone in Hip Hop class gets fitted like Beyonce or Jay-Z. But while we totally support anyone who wants to get flossed out to get in the mood, most everyone just dresses like they would if they were going to work out. That includes bringing a water bottle and a towel if you got it. Other than that, make sure you got footwear that lets you move easily and you’re set. And in case you are one of the people that wants to pimp your gear before you come through, know you won’t be alone. Us FUNKMODE folk like to don our flyest fits too, so play on playas.What is the average age of the people in your adult classes?
Now you know it’s not polite to be asking people’s ages. Shame on you! But if you must know, we cover the demographic that uses TikTok all the way to the one uses LinkedIn. If that’s not specific enough for you, just know that you won’t be the oldest student we’ve had and you won’t be the youngest. Don’t let a number become an excuse. If you love to dance, you don’t need to worry about anything else.Will I get a good workout?
Although it IS a dance class, we know a lot of people are just trying to find a fun way to get fit without strapping themselves to a StairMonster. Sooo, we make sure to sneak a workout in on ya while you’re distracted by trying to keep up with the steps.Do you teach real Hip Hop?
We may be out in the burbs, but our Hip Hop is definitely not from the land of make believe. We pride ourselves on being one of the very, VERY few companies around that truly represents for REAL Hip Hop. We don’t play sell-out rap songs. We don’t bite our moves from music videos or TV shows and if you wanna chill for a spell, we could regale you with more details about the history of Hip Hop than you ever thought possible. This ain’t Jazz or pop moves disguised as funk. FUNKMODE IS HIP HOP!Do you teach more than dancing in your kids’ classes?
Our kids’ classes are a far different animal than our adult classes. Since we’re giving most of these ankle biters and young adults their first exposure to the performing arts, we include a bit of everything in their classes. For example, Hip Hop classes include some basic training in other important dance styles in addition to working on not just the moves but also performance quality. We also do basic acting training, sessions on how to improvise, lessons on comedy and comedic timing and some musical education. We find that all of these skills make better dancers so we make it an important part of their curriculum.How do you choose your music for class? Also, is it kid friendly?
We have our favorite artists and we keep our ear to the streets for the new kids bringing the heat. We take a lot of requests from our students figuring that if you’re bumpin it outside of class, you’ll definitely be jammin when you hear it in class. As for the kids’ classes, our music is ALWAYS kid friendly. We want them to have the most positive image of Hip Hop possible and curate our music choices accordingly.How are your group classes different from your private lessons?
As different as watching people dance on TV is from taking a dance class. Private lessons put you a step closer to the action. Private lessons allow us to get into things that we’d never have the time or ability to cover in group classes. Besides that, they’re completely individualized, so whatever you want to do is what we do. They’re a great way to learn things we don’t cover in class or get extra assisted practice with the things we are doing in class. Especially if you’re a first timer, private lessons are a GREAT idea!